It was held last night at the new Raleigh Ampitheater, which is outdoors, in the heart of downtown Raleigh. Neb and I were extremely excited, as we had not seen him perform since last summer when he played with Phil Lesh and Friends, opening for the Allman Brothers. He has a new album out, Til the Light Comes, and it is amazing.
ChiggerButt offered to babysit B-Boy, and we felt really good about leaving him in such great hands... but I am getting ahead of myself.
Yesterday morning started with both of us taking the day off of work. However, I dropped B-Boy at daycare , and then met Neb back home to play a round of golf. It was nice to have just the two of us on the course, and despite the fact that it has been about 18 months since I have played, I did pretty well. I even managed to birdie a hole, and had some good shots. I also had some not so good shots, but we won't dwell on those. We had a blast.
Then we got cleaned up, headed to pick B-Boy up at daycare, and then took him to see ChiggerButt. He loves her, and couldn't wait for her to hold him. We made a quick exit (before he would know we were gone) and headed downtown.
Neb spotted Jackie a few minutes after we arrived, and we waited on the side of the stage to see him again. When he walked by, we shouted out to him. I was shocked when he walked over!
We had a Sactown magazine (a Sacramento magazine) with him on the cover that we have been trying to get him to sign for a while. While he started to sign it, I mentioned that it was Neb's birthday. He then wished Neb a happy birthday, and signed a message to that effect on the cover of the magazine. The dude is just plain nice, and incredibly talented. We were even able to get a photo with him, which made our day.
He played a great set, and as they started to clear the stage, it started to rain. It got heavier and heavier, so we decided to head back to the parking garage to wait it out. Good thing, because we decided to leave our stuff (like the magazine, my purse, my new shoes- changed out for my flip flops) in the car. Once the rain ceased, we headed back to the ampitheater.
A view of the shimmer tree... so pretty!
Then Government Mule took the stage. After their second song, the rain began again. Then the thunder and lightening... by the time song 4 started, it was POURING. Buckets.
At first it was nice and cool, a nice change from the extreme heat. Then it became cold. Finally, it came down so hard that it HURT. At that point, the band covered up the gear and left the stage. We decided we had enough fun and headed to the gate to leave.
We were DRENCHED. And, with no towels or clothes to change into, we became cold and wet. We wrung out the clothes as best we could, but without much effect. I had a few blankets in the car, which helped us dry off a bit. We jumped in the car, pulled off our shorts and squeezed the water out of them through the window. Ah, to be young!
Neb changed into his concert T... so he looks dry, but we are soaking wet.
When we arrived to pick up B-Boy, we both realized we had to put those cold, wet shorts back on. I must admit, that was not very fun.
We didn't care. And thankfully, the MacFamily provided us with dry clothes to wear home. B-Boy was still wide awake, and had a blast playing with ChiggerButt. I think he has a little crush on her! He was rubbing his eyes, and was ready to go home... it was not long before he was heard snoring loudly from the backseat.
All in all, a great evening.
What's up for today? Well, I won't even try to top yesterday... but we will try to take B-Boy to the pool and end the day with a nice meal of Neb's choosing, and chocolate cake.
And for those of you who don't know... chocolate cake is Dunkin Hines Butter Recipe Yellow Cake with Milk Chocolate frosting. Neb's favorite.
So happy birthday Neb! B-Boy is so lucky to have such a great Dad! Enjoy your day!





No comments:
Post a Comment