Friday, January 21, 2011

Mommy? Daddy? I am trying to tell you something!

B-Boy doesn't say much, but he is doing a lot of communicating.

B-Boy will put things in your hand that he wants, like a cup for water, or his yogurt melt snacks. The story of the cup is a funny one... One day, B-Boy picked his cup up off of the kitchen table, grabbed my hand, turned my hand over and put the cup in it. He then (still holding on to my hand) walked over to the water cooler. Although he didn't use words, I clearly heard him- "Come on Mom, I am thirsty!"

And that's not all.

When he is ready for bed, he will walk up to the baby gate in the kitchen that leads into the hallway. He then will look at us as he grabs on to the gate. It's his way of saying "I am ready, let's go to bed!". If we don't get it, or respond fast enough, then he will start to shake the gate and say "AHHHHH!" as if to say "Come on people... what don't you get? I am READY FOR BED!"

He has done it for over a week now, and since it has been consistent, Neb and I are finally catching on. B-Boy talks without words!

Once we get to the gate and open it, he will walk through and head for the stairs. He will stop for a quick look out the front window and I will start up the stairs to encourage him to follow. Neb will stand behind him and he then crawls up the stairs. Neb is there to keep him from falling and to prod him upward. I stand at the top cheering him on.... and then run up and down the hall (stopping periodically to get his room ready for his bedtime). When he gets to the top, he stands up so proud and walks down the hall to his room to chase me.

I crouch in his room near his bed and shade my eyes with my hands. He then does the funniest thing. He doesn't walk over and touch me... He will get down on all fours, crawl over to me and look up into my eyes. A giggle usually follows... It's so cute! He is so proud of himself and will then start to play with his toys in his room.

Usually.

But last night was different. B-Boy usually gets a bath every other night. He normally doesn't get one every night because it really dries out his skin. He had been fussy most of the day and evening, mostly because of the shots he got at his doctor's appointment earlier in the week. Neb and I had talked about skipping the bath and letting him go directly to bed. We thought it might be a good idea to let him go straight to bed since he had been so fussy, clearly not himself.

When we got to the top of the stairs last night, B-Boy chased me into his room. He then followed his Dad into the bathroom, where Neb was getting the humidifier filled up. B-Boy walked to the tub, picked up his toddler tub and started banging it. Yep, you guessed it. B-Boy wanted a bath. So he got one, and he was quite happy.

So that's the update on communication at our house. We are hearing B-Boy loud and clear- we think!

No comments:

Post a Comment