Sunday, January 23, 2011

Putting things away

I have to say that I love Montessori based teaching. I was a Montessori kid, and B-Boy's daycare is one too.

Today, we had a new milestone, and it was completely courtesy of his Montessori school.

I was emptying the dishwasher, which is a sure fire way to get B-Boy to come over. I don't know why it is such an attraction, and when knives are present, it sure is a scary place. B-Boy likes to put things in it, and also take things out. I don't mind him taking out the clean dishes, but if they are dirty, chances are he will be wearing whatever is on the item. Not fun.

So I usually close it when he starts to approach. He will help the final closing process, which then lets him move on to another task.

But today, there was nothing dangerous for him to touch... and since they were clean I thought I would let him amuse himself with it while I finished putting items away. I looked down and B-Boy had found a lid to a pot that he usually gets to play with- he started taking it out. He held on to it for a few moments and then he did something new and unexpected...

He walked over to the cabinet where the pots and lids are kept, opened it very carefully, and then he PUT THE LID AWAY.

I was shocked. I didn't realize that he had made that connection- the pots and pans belong in this cabinet. Nor had I realized that he understood that I was putting things away where they belong.

He spent a few more minutes taking the lid out, and then putting it back in. Then he had a rousing good time playing with the pots and a B-Boy sized wooden spoon.

It was such a neat moment, one I want to remember. I hope you forgive me jotting it down here, as it probably is not very exciting for the rest of you!

No comments:

Post a Comment