Wednesday, May 25, 2011

I want to hold your... ear!

I didn't used to be an aficionado of kids music. Since having B-Boy, we listen to Kids Place Live a lot on our XM radio.There are several different shows, and we enjoy listening to them. We have a long commute to work\daycare every day, so often the music is needed to help keep the drive light.

I used to think of kids music as that "annoying everybody is happy sugarsweet sounding stuff" that sticks in your mind for days. Yuck. But there are some really good groups out there that have songs for the kids with a sound for the adults. I mentioned we went to a Lunch Money concert  in this blog post back in December. We had a great time, and really like listening to the music we purchased while there.

There is a group called ScribbleMonster that makes me giggle. There new album is really fun, as they re-did songs from Sesame Street. The first hit off the album is "I want to hold your ear." B-Boy responds to this song because it has a nice heavy guitar in it, and it kicks the song off. If he is crying in the car, this song gets turned on.. by the end, he is no longer crying. YAY!

But I digress. I was talking about the song. The music is catchy, but not in an annoying way. It could be on an adult station, but I must admit, the words would take on a serial killer type context that the Muppets from Sesame Street avoid.

The lyrics go:
I held your hand
And told you that
I loved you
You turned around and
Walked right out the door
Seems like holding your hand
Was not enough
So I want to do something more


Oh I want to hold your ear baby
Wanna hold it near baby
Wanna hold your ear
Until you hear that
I love you


And I want to hold your eyes baby
Lovely shape and size baby
Want to hold your eyes
So you'll see and realize that
I love you


I wanna hold your nose
I wanna hold your tooth
I won't let you breathe on me
Until you know the truth
I love you


Oh I wanna hold your hair baby
Show you that I care baby
And it's only fair to tell you
What I intend to do
 

I'm going to keep what I hold dear
Your nose
Your eyes
Your tooth
Your ears
And I'm gonna hold them 'till
You say you love me tooo!

The story from the show goes something like this (taken from Wikipedia):

A male muppet puts a female muppet's head together. He tells her that he loves her, but it turns out she doesn't love him. He then proceeds to take her head apart, bit by bit, as he sings "I Want to Hold Your Ear" (as well as eyes, nose, tooth, and hair). After she walks off in a huff, he notices to his shock that the parts he set aside have attached themselves to the tablecloth, who thinks he's kinda cute.

As I said, on a regular station, it would be really creepy. On a muppet themed show, not so creepy. Or maybe you need to hear the song to appreciate that.

I am writing this because this week the song made B-Boy do something new.

As the lyrics went through the body parts, I noticed B-Boy was touching them! He touched his ears, his eyes, his nose, his tongue (a tooth substitute) and then his hair. I did not realize he was listening to the words so closely, this was the first time he had interacted with a song before quite like this.

I wonder what the next song will be?

No comments:

Post a Comment