B-Boy's favorite part of the swimming session is to SPLASH his Mommy and to have his Daddy lift him up quickly out of the water. Both activities make him squeal with delight.
Wheeeeeee!
His second set of classes has just finished up, and I wanted to give you an update on his progress, because we are really excited about it.
As you know, B-Boy goes underwater no problem. He also does great being passed back and forth between us, sometimes getting his face wet. He does so well with it, that we have now moved on to the next phase.
His teacher has us passing him to each other but letting him go under water. Yep, his WHOLE head... under water. We count to three, and on three I push him on his tummy toward Neb and let go. Where Neb usually grabs him as I am letting go, he no longer does. B-Boy glides through the water, eyes completely open- and then he kicks until he bobs up to the surface and Neb scoops him out of the pool. We then repeat the process in the opposite direction.
He holds his breath underwater no problem, and as I said, keeps his eyes open which is slightly freaky! The other parents are amazed at his progress.
Once he mastered that, the teacher challenged us to stand farther and farther apart to encourage B-Boy to use his arms to reach to us too. It is a bit harder to get him to use his arms, but we are getting there. He has learned he gets to us faster if he kicks, so I don't think it will take long to get there. We shall see.
Oh, and the other challenge the teacher issued? He told me when I bring him in the water from the edge of the pool, to let go.
Yikes. That one was really scary for me. But then I realized that was about me, not about what B-Boy can or can't do. So I took a deep breath, counted to three and pulled him in the water. And then... I let go.
B-Boy went under no problem. He then bobbed up to the surface before I could even say YAY! I scooped him up out of the water and we then cheered really loudly! YAY! I am not sure who I was more proud of... B-Boy for doing it, or me for getting out of my way in my head and LETTING him do it. YAY us.
His next set has started and I cannot wait to see how he progresses. I'll keep you posted!



No comments:
Post a Comment