Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Stranger Anxiety

Who thought B-Boy, who adores people adoring him, would end up having Stranger Anxiety?

But, he does. It started with him just looking to us when a stranger approached. He would get the "it's ok" look from us (which usually included us issuing a big smile and an one of us saying "it's ok!")  and then he would break into a big smile.

And he still does that. But this week, the Stranger Anxiety has hit with a whole new level. I have watched the other kids in his class go through it, with all different levels of anxiety. One little girl would break into absolute hysterics if a stranger came into the classroom.

B-Boy is not quite that bad, but when strangers come into the room, he breaks into crying. There is a new baby in the room (almost 3 months old, who started today)... the baby is not the problem. Actually, the three toddlers in the room were pushing each other like crazy to get a good look at her from the other side of the low bookcases. I watched B-Boy push the little girl who is three weeks older than him aside so he could get a better look... she just glided down the bookcase as if she was meaning to do it. I was grateful she didn't fall over but I was suprised when she did not react. (She has 2 big sisters, so perhaps she is used to being moved aside??? B-Boy would NEVER stand to be scouched across a bookcase, but I am getting off topic.)

The problem was the parents. They are great people, the husband actually works three offices down from me. But B-Boy doesn't know that. All he knows is that the room he LOVES to go to everyday, to the point of being downright GIDDY.... has been invaded by strangers. He breaks into a long and loud cry until one of his teachers goes and holds him. Then, he is fine.

Like it didn't happen. Almost like- Heh heh, I got what I wanted! Score!

But the same thing happens at pick up time at the end of the day. All the babies get put in strollers (usually double strollers) and wheeled to the common Atrium area. As the parents drive up, the teachers bring out the babies who are swooped into their car seats and then moved out as if on a conveyer belt. Sometimes, parents will park and walk in to get thier kids. That is where the problem happens.

B-Boy is ok with the other teachers and babies... but now as parents are coming in to get their kids, his Stranger Anxiety kicks in and WAH!!!!!!!

I am hopeful that this phase does not last long. I was a terribly shy child, and I hope it has not moved on to B-Boy... I know, you are shocked with the thought of ME being shy... but I was. Thankfully, I eventuallly found my voice and stature. Otherwise, what WOULD you read?

;)

No comments:

Post a Comment