Thursday, December 10, 2009

Meeting the teachers and his 2 month check up

The day before yesterday, B-Boy, Neb and I went to meet B-Boy's teachers at the day care. My company offers subsidized care that is just amazing. There are 6 infants per class with 2 teachers and an aide. That's three adults to six babies!!!! Amazing. And, there are 10 classrooms for this age group. After B-Boy turns one, he will move up to the next age group's class. And, the care is available up to him starting Kindergarden, when he will go to school.

We all went and met with the Administrator and the head teacher... We told them all about B-Boy, his likes and dislikes, and his feeding issues. They went over the policies, and all the things we needed to know. Then we went down to the classroom for a tour, and to meet the other teachers.

B-Boy slept the entire time... and kept his pacifier in his mouth almost the entire time we were in the Administrator's office. They both commented on how amazed they were that a) he slept the whole time and b) that the paci stayed in his mouth. Kids his age don't do that appartently. Heh heh... they don't know that B-Boy likes to fake people out with this false first impression. He's REALLY good at it. I am convinced that there is a conspiracy with Moms and Babies... when they go out in public the baby behaves incredibly to fool the women and men who don't have kids to have them. "Aw look honey, this baby is so well behaved... see, that isn't so hard... that Mother is a mess, we can do better than that!" And thus, our population survives.  ;)

Back to the story...

His classroom is really cute... he will have his own private bed with his picture on it... and lots of neat toys. The tummy time station looked very engaging, and the teachers were very attentive, especially to the young ones. Two older babies are moving up to the next classroom, and so B-Boy and one other infant will be joining the group. The teacher was really interested in seeing B-Boy eat and she invited us back the next day to show her.

Fast forward to yesterday...

B-Boy went to the pediatrician for his 2 month checkup and S-H-O-T-S. Yikes!

He got weighed (he is now 13 pounds 8 ounces!!!) and measured (he is now 24.5 inches long!). He is in the 90th percentile for length and weight.





We talked with the doctor about his development, and asked lots of questions. We also had to fill out a questionaire about our interactions with him. Then the icky part. In order to be able to go to daycare, B-Boy needed 4 shots and 1 liquid vaccine. We decided to split up the shots into two doses... so we will be going back in 10 days for those remaining two shots. They gave him the two shots at the same time, one in each leg. It about broke our hearts- and he screamed like a banshee. Not that I know what a banshee sounds like... but I imagine the high pitch loud scream that he pushed out must be really close.

Afterward, he calmed down and I took him back over to the daycare. There, I got to feed him in the classroom. The head teacher watched and asked lots of questions. B-Boy ate all 6 ounces!!! I think the trauma of the S-H-O-T-S made him hungry. But the best part was that around his consumption of ounce 2, the teacher got up and started her normal routine- and I got to watch. I saw the aide feed a 4 month old lovingly, watched her redirect an 11 month old who was tossing toys, their concern for a 9 month old who was trying to pull herself up, a diaper change, a solid food feeding and more. I even got to sit and talk to another parent... And all the while, B-Boy was a dream. Well, up until he spit up on me. But I digress. We took his photo for his cubby and then headed on our way home.

So, for now I am feeling good about his care when I go back to work. I know it will be hard to leave him, but I feel really good about his care. And the best part is, since he will be 2 buildings away, I can go at any time to see him or feed him.




1 comment:

  1. He really will have the best care daycare can provide. BTW, which room did you end up in? I saw that some twins grabbed your spot in Jambuca's room. :-(

    ReplyDelete