The party was in his classroom at the day care, and was scheduled for Wednesday afternoon. When I got there, almost all the other parents were there with their kids, which caused B-Boy some distress. He just does not like crowds.
When I arrived, he was in the corner with one of the teachers, clearly upset but hanging in there. I went to his little corner and sat down on one of the bookshelves serving as a wall for a kitchen play area. B-Boy sidled up next to me and hugged my leg. I patted his back and we stayed like that for a long time, and he just took in what was going on in the room.
The teachers had arranged a table in the middle of the room and decorated it for Christmas. They served punch, cookies and B-Boy's newest discovered favorite snack, goldfish! I served up some goldfish on a plate for him but he refused to sit down at his little table. He cried every time I sat him in the little chair. (They usually have assigned seating, but they were able to sit wherever they wanted for the party.) B-Boy would have none of it, and would end up eating in my lap.
Eventually, his plate emptied, and I got up to get him some more Goldfish. When I returned, he finally felt comfortable and had sat down at the table, in KidN's spot. (KidN' was in his old room, and we were happy he would have a friend in the new room!) He ate there for a while, and then his teacher handed us a box with his name on it.
We opened his present, which was a cute canvas bag with red handles and his hand-prints and name in red paint. In the bag was a miniature hand-crank music box. It was made of acrylic, so you could see all the parts move. The box played "The Itsy-Bitsy Spider", and B-Boy just loved it! He is able to turn it himself with a little help.
We had a lot of fun, and were surprised to find out that one of the little girls in the room is the daughter of a man that Neb worked with seven years ago at a start-up. His wife works at my company, and we had not seen them in many years. What a small world, right?
I thought I would finish this post with a photo of B-Boy on Friday, December 24th. I usually work on Christmas Eve because I get a lot done... most people take the day off, so I am usually pretty productive. The company was closing early and so when I went to pick him up, it was in the middle of his nap. There were so few kids there that day, so they combined two joined classrooms into one room.
B-Boy was in the adjoining room, taking a nap in his cot. I thought you might like to see what it looked like, since I talked about it previously.
The teachers had arranged a table in the middle of the room and decorated it for Christmas. They served punch, cookies and B-Boy's newest discovered favorite snack, goldfish! I served up some goldfish on a plate for him but he refused to sit down at his little table. He cried every time I sat him in the little chair. (They usually have assigned seating, but they were able to sit wherever they wanted for the party.) B-Boy would have none of it, and would end up eating in my lap.
Mommy, when exactly does this become fun again?
Eventually, his plate emptied, and I got up to get him some more Goldfish. When I returned, he finally felt comfortable and had sat down at the table, in KidN's spot. (KidN' was in his old room, and we were happy he would have a friend in the new room!) He ate there for a while, and then his teacher handed us a box with his name on it.
We opened his present, which was a cute canvas bag with red handles and his hand-prints and name in red paint. In the bag was a miniature hand-crank music box. It was made of acrylic, so you could see all the parts move. The box played "The Itsy-Bitsy Spider", and B-Boy just loved it! He is able to turn it himself with a little help.
We had a lot of fun, and were surprised to find out that one of the little girls in the room is the daughter of a man that Neb worked with seven years ago at a start-up. His wife works at my company, and we had not seen them in many years. What a small world, right?
I thought I would finish this post with a photo of B-Boy on Friday, December 24th. I usually work on Christmas Eve because I get a lot done... most people take the day off, so I am usually pretty productive. The company was closing early and so when I went to pick him up, it was in the middle of his nap. There were so few kids there that day, so they combined two joined classrooms into one room.
B-Boy was in the adjoining room, taking a nap in his cot. I thought you might like to see what it looked like, since I talked about it previously.
Mommy, I can't sleep. Can we go now?




No comments:
Post a Comment