Wednesday, February 9, 2011

More.... and Milk.

We have been working with B-Boy to get him to communicate more. One way we have been doing this is to give him a snack when he asks for it. Usually, he will hand us something and say "GA!" or point to something and say "GA!" to let us know he wants it. My rule: if he asks for it, he can have it.

Eventually, that won't be the rule. But for now, we want him to know that he can trust us- and that he is being heard. That concept is so very important to help him grow up feeling loved and understood.

But I am getting off topic now, aren't I? Let's get back to the fun part...

B-Boy signed for the first time! We have been working on it for a while, mostly signing things like More and Milk. We would see that he would want "more applesauce" or "more milk" and sign it to him before giving him more. He mostly laughed at us - "Silly parents!"

Last week, I started putting his hands together to make the sign for "more" before giving him what he wanted. He thought that was HILARIOUS... or frustrating. He would either laugh or yell in response to having his hands put together.

But then we came home the other day, and he ran over to get the yogurt melts from his snack area. I gave him some by putting them on the corner of the kitchen table and then started to put his milk away. When I turned around, all the yogurt melts were gone.

B-Boy was pointing to the bag, and grunting to let me know he REALLY wanted some. I paused and said "More? You want more?". Then, he did it. B-Boy signed "More!" in his own way. He pointed to his open hand over and over. "More?", I asked.

"Yeah, yeah!" said B-Boy.

And then he got more.  He did this several more times before the night was through.

Later, he signed milk. He had just finished drinking some milk with his breakfast, and I asked him if he wanted "More Milk?". He then signed "Milk!" to me.

It was adorable, and fun to see him communicate in a new way. It looks like it is time to brush up on more signs!

No comments:

Post a Comment