Saturday, February 26, 2011

Why we love to swing

In my previous post, I talked about swinging with B-Boy on the big kid swing and how much I cherished the moment.

But there is another reason for that, and I thought I would share the back story with you.

Neb and I met in grad school in Lubbock, Texas. It was a stressful program, and Neb and I were the only two students pursuing that specific degree, out of all the other folks in our major. We "got" what the other person was going through, and that was really nice to have!

One way that we would cope with the stress was to go to a park and find a set of swings. We would each sit down on one and pump as hard as we could, so that we could swing REALLY high. We would stare up at the stars and just be. The sky was always REALLY dark in Lubbock, and the stars would just shine so intensely there.

There was something quite relaxing about it all. Sometimes we would talk about what we were going through, what was troubling us, or about a problem we were working on. Sometimes we wouldn't say a word. I always felt better when I left.

"Going to Swing" became a common activity, and Neb was always a good sport about going when I needed it. What a catch, huh?

I personally consider myself pretty lucky to have found him... but don't tell him that, or I will NEVER hear the end of it!

No comments:

Post a Comment